& DESIGN RE-THINKING
The 5 FORCES of DESIGN RE-THINKING (5F) model is the basis for STRATEGIC ACTIONEERING – a new, smart, simple and extremely effective way for teams to develop creative-action capability and engagement.
Based on years of design practitioner research and development, the model and facilitation process developed from Ph.D research into multi-disciplinary design practice enables any team to learn a dedicated suite of mindsets, tools and cutting-edge design thinking skills you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
A lot of design thinking today simply builds on repeating 20th century definitions that does not appreciate the design-based nature of 21st century skills, inquiry, cognition, divergent-convergent thinking, or features predominantly downstream methods (Design Council Double Diamond) that doesn’t integrate with upstream complex-challenge framing (Stanford D·School/ IDEO).
The 5 Forces Model
Building on central theories from design and creativity, ‘The 5 Forces of Design Re-Thinking‘ has been developed based on over twenty years of experience ‘in the field’ – a new design thinking model that develops understanding by incorporating central inquiry-driven learning tools into a new methodology.
The 5 Forces model rethinks design thinking and integrates it with Strategic Action Planning. The result is a powerful action-based core toolset for teams to practice Design and Innovation Thinking skills through the conscience use of divergent and convergent thinking. By placing emphasis on action-reflection learning, any team can learn cutting edge design thinking and essentially develop their own cross-pollination skills – what is called the T-profile of the innovator – enabling the development of collaborative intelligence by strategic creative thinking and engagement.
Since the work will be the subject of a forthcoming publication, until then, the models won’t be revealed. Contact me to know more.
The 5F framework can be used for:
- Presentation, inspiration and developing active participation
- Strategic decision making
- Establishing the validity of concepts
- Design and Innovation Thinking/ User-centered design application
- Visualisation and communication ideas by collaborative ideation
- Transforming research into action
- Developing insight by practicing divergent-convergent thinking skills
- learning to think and act like a professional designer
- Designing and facilitating stakeholder alignment
- Learning tools for making intangibles real
- Align thinking and creative action throughout your team
- Better, quicker, faster: Save time, increase capability
- Co-create more sophisticated innovative solutions
In 2017 we will extend this approach to provide one of the very first courses in design re-thinking for innovative project management, expanding the framework to work with a range of specifically developed as well as existing innovation tools anchored to an extensive strategic action-planning matrix.